What is your favorite writing tool?
Ours is the Highlight Test. Editing Addict frequently recommends this tool—not just to novices—but also to our more experienced Writing Addicts.
How does the Highlight Test work? It helps writers see crutches in their writing—words or phrases leaned on…perhaps a little too much. As writers, we need those crutches at time in our lives—they make walking a success. The question becomes, what do we do with the crutches when we are prepared to run?
How to take the Highlight Test:
- Use the FIND function, and search for key words that you overuse
- Highlight all of them—ALL OF THEM
- Read your manuscript again.
- If you begin to get annoyed at all the highlighted words, guess what? So will your reader.
- It’s time to remove some of those crutches, and see your writing get stronger, able to stand on it’s own.
Now, tell us your favorite writing tool!