Deadline for this is VERY soon. Check it out.
Deadline: September 1, 2013
Submissions should be sent to: Kathy Ide
A Fiction-Lover’s Devotional
“Kathy Ide is putting together a compilation of short fictional stories accompanied by Life Applications to help readers glean scriptural truths from the stories—similar to the format Jesus used when He told parables and then explained to His listeners how the stories applied to their everyday lives.
A major mainstream publisher has expressed serious interest in this book (and potential series). After seeing the proposal with some sample chapters, they have requested a complete manuscript as soon as possible. So the deadline for submissions to Kathy is September 1, 2013.
Contributing authors will receive an honorarium ($25) and a complimentary copy of the published book. Contributors should be able to purchase additional copies at author discount for sale or give-away. Bios of contributing authors will be featured at the end of each chapter. Titles of recently published works and website addresses can be included in the bio. So this devotional compilation will be an excellent opportunity for new readers to discover you and your books.
- Title: something catchy that relates to the topic
- Byline as you want it to appear
- Fiction Story: 1,500-2,000 words
- Life Application: 250-500 words giving truth, teaching, and inspiration related to the story
- Scripture verse that applies to the story (Include reference and version used)
- Author’s Bio: 50-100 words
- Plus or minus a few words is perfectly acceptable. Subject to change at publisher’s discretion.
- Double space, 12-point Times New Roman.
- In the upper-left corner of the first page, please include your name, address, phone number, and e-mail.
- In the upper-right corner of the first page, please indicate the theme/topic of your story.
- Feel free to submit multiple stories.
- Short stories must be FICTION. No true stories (not even fictionalized true stories).
- Third person is preferable. (First person tends to have the feel of a true story.)
- Contemporary settings are preferred. Near-past or near-future will be considered.
- The publisher is very conservative, so the submission content should be too. (Think “Upper Room.”)
- Since I am a professional editor, I will most likely edit your submission. You need to be OK with that.
- If you have a fictional story with Life Application based on a Bible character, please let me know as I’m doing a project similar to this one, using biblical fiction, for a different publisher.
If you’d like to see some sample stories to get an idea of what Kathy looking for, let her know (at the email address below). She’ll be happy to e-mail a couple to you.
Please write “Modern-Day Parables” in the subject line.”